Friday, October 9, 2009

Corn Maze

Last week I took my Girl Scout troop to a Corn Maze at a local farm.



The corn maze covered 15 acres. It took us about an hour and a half to go through it.




The family that has this Corn Maze donates all the money to their church. They said it is a lot of fun to go through at night with just a flash light!





I had always wondered how they make a corn maze. They said they draw the design for that year onto graph paper. They sowed the entire 15 acres in field corn.




When the corn was about 3 inches tall they would go through the corn field with a mower and cut the design into the field. They would repeat the mowing 3 or 4 more times over the next month or two until the walking paths were clear.







We were very appreciative that they also went through the maze with a grader and made the paths smooth.




This is a picture of two of my assistance Toni and Ida. I also have a Co-leader Tracy. She was blazing the trail at the beginning of the group.



After a while we discovered the secret to a corn maze. You let everyone else go first. Then when they are back tracking because a dead end you know not to go that way! :-)





Everyone thinks Toni and I are sisters. She is exactly 13 days older than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment